There are times when life and business just does not go according to plan. Today feels like one of those days. Thankfully, I had the birthday of my middle daughter, E, to make me feel less like it was a washout. And just as I write this, trying not to descend into the POMs (Poor old me), my youngest daughter does a windy pop right in the face of tloml. Ha ha!!! That will teach him to hold her with her bum pointed in the direction of his face.
OK, so the truth is, things are not all that bad, in fact compared to where I was this time last year, things are considerably better. However, I want things to go exactly the way I want them all the time.
On the Down Side,
- A house I had hoped to take on really looked nothing like I had hoped it would look. So after a hour and half round trip drive on a day that a friend had graciously taken the girls for the afternoon, it was a bit of a waste of time. This , being the second time it had happened this week, it was annoying. People’s descriptions on the phone are definitely not to be trusted.
- All week, I have been trying to fill a room and there was a potentially good prospect tonight that cancelled his viewing tonight and wanted to come see it tomorrow but of course, this is the one weekend, I am going away so no, he cannot.
- To add insult to injury, this room is empty still because I stupidly trusted a potential tenant who had not put any money where his mouth was. I had dissuaded other potential tenants because this older, other guy seemed genuine – Well, lesson learnt!!
- This older guy may have taken another one of my tenants with him. His rent did not come through this morning – Bank Glitch or Deliberate non-payment? Not sure, whichever way annoying!!
On the Up Side,
- There is only have one room (I hope) to fill in a 5 bed house so all expenses are covered.
- I get to spend most days at home with my babies, especially on days like today when there is a birthday and we can go on trains, go to cafes, art galleries and generally enjoy each other.
- I have taken on another house that looks quite cool in a great area. Business is building.
- I am getting used to dealing with all kinds of people
- I am surely improving on my patience
- I am learning to stay cool in the face of adversity – At least, I am sooooo much further along than I used to be.
- The business provides employment for local handymen and accommodation for people in need of somewhere to live. It is building the local economy when I buy items like reconditioned washer-dryers and it is relieving landlords from the stresses of dealing with tenants and issues of non-payment. The business provides good service.
- I can truly call myself a business woman! Woohoo!
- I am married to an amazing man, who supports me a whole lot.
I am blessed! And I will just keep keeping on. Business may not always go according to plan but failure only happens when we give up.
And in one year you will look back and see how far you have progressed from today. The reality of growing a business, IMHO, and in most cases it is about plucking away, persistently and in your and my case ethically and happily. Do the right things, with an achievable goal in mind and you can grow your business sustainably.
It’s important to look back to see what you have accomplished. I’ve been looking back recently and am quietly pleased at the progress I’ve made, with the help of your husband 😉
I am sure that is true. As long as I keep plugging away, surely it can only get better. I am excited about where I could be a year from now, that’s for sure. It is just the ‘now’ at times that can be annoying 😀
Tloml is definitely a great guy to have on side.
Thanks for stopping by!