NaBloPoMo – What is that? An invitation to write everyday for a month. Thought it would be fun so here we go.
This is probably going to be part of my rambling section on my blog as I want to spend time improving my ability to communicate using words. I would love to hear what you think about this month of (hopefully) writing daily on random topics that occur to me. Do not worry, the real stuff will be mixed in there too. I hope you enjoy this!
Why do I enjoy writing?
Ever since I can remember I have been writing bits of poetry, songs, keeping a diary – I have always enjoyed writing. I go through phases where I write everyday and then I go through a time of writing sporadically and then back to the top again. I have never really asked myself why I enjoy it though so this should be interesting even for me.
I think I will make a list…
- I enjoy talking – Well, I suppose I should say I enjoy communicating. I love speaking with other people and expressing my ideas, I love talking in public; I know this is some people’s worst nightmare but for me, I love talking to an audience! So writing comes out of that, in order to prepare my ‘speeches’, I need to be able to develop my thoughts into words and sort them out somewhat. Writing does that for me. When I really find time and quiet to write, I am flooded with ideas I want to store for the future so I put them down quickly before they escape. I have to have things to talk about, don’t I?
- A reminder – As noted in the above point, I love talking. The problem with talk, is that it is temporary (unless you record it, of course!). Part of the reason, I have always written things down is because I want something first to remind myself of some of the battles I have worked through. Second, as my girls grow up, there will be times when I feel so much older than them, keeping a diary or journaling will bring me back down to their level as I remember how I felt in the same situations.
- A legacy – Some people have diamonds or other kinds of jewellery to pass down to their children as a family legacy. At the moment (and this is not to say, I will not leave them some diamonds too), I have words. Words that depict my journey, words that express my very heart. I want to be fully known by my girls and anyone else who gets the ‘privilege’ of reading my words. I hope it is something they will treasure as they come into full womanhood. I want them to realise their mum went through some of the same trials they may face in the future as they grow up.
- Declutter-er– It declutters my brain to write what I am thinking and feeling. At times, even before I speak to a friend about some trauma I am dealing with (As a teenager, there were many of these – Did I mention I am a super dramatic kind of girl?), I would take the time to write down how I felt. The chances are I could not explain while talking as clearly as I could explain on paper. I found clarity as I wrote things down and I still do.
- Songwriting – I love music and I love singing. I love writing my own songs but do not do it as often as I should but that is all about to change as I start to put some of my inspirations to song on this blog in the near future. (I have to add some advertising!! – Subscribe to be the first to hear me!)
- Inspiration and encouragement – Words are powerful tools that can build people up or bring them down low. I choose to use my words to build up and inspire and encourage. Writing gives me a platform to edify too. I want people to feel uplifted as they read what I write so I work on crafting words in creative ways, I am still learning but the more I do it, the better I will become.
I think that is enough for now. I hope it was enjoyable. I would love to hear from you – Start to write your own legacy too.
The reason one writes isn’t the fact he wants to say something. He writes because he has something to say.
F. Scott Fitzgerald